The information in the following section applies to vehicles that were titled out-of-state and the following situation exists:
- The vehicle owner moves to Florida, or
- The vehicle titled out-of-state changes/transfers ownership to a resident of Florida.
The following documentation must be provided:
- The out-of-state title certificate.
- A completed HSMV 82040 Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration. Note that often sections of this form are left blank, resulting in an application that cannot be processed. Please make sure the following items are complete:
- Section 1: Owner/Applicant Information. The vehicle owner’s Florida driver license number is required. If the vehicle is to be titled in a business name, please include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEID) and the 9-digit zip code of the business address.
- Section 2: Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Description section.
- Section 6: Odometer Declaration
- Section 8: Motor Vehicle Identification Number Verification
- Section 12: Application Attestment and Signatures
- A copy of one of the following proof of identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card with photo
- An out-of-state driver license or identification card with photo.
- A US passport.
- A Canadian driver license, identification card or passport.
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. Territory.
- An out-of-country passport.
Please note that while a copy of a Florida driver license or identification card IS NOT required to be submitted, it makes the process simpler. Find out more information about obtaining a Florida driver license.
- Proof of Florida insurance (a Florida insurance card, policy, or binder), or completedHSMV 83330 Florida Insurance Affidavit.
- Bill of Sale. Evidence that the sales tax on the vehicle has been paid is necessary. Click here for a Bill of Sale Form.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Seminole County is 6% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, order of court in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- If the motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased and used less than 6 months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the 6% sales or use tax, plus any local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and registration can be issued by the department. However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.
- The registrant's County of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
Fast Title Service
For an extra cost, Fast Title service is available at all of our offices. If all documentation is correct (see the complete list of necessary documentation above), a Certificate of Title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.