A Florida Title Transfer is needed when a vehicle currently titled in Florida changes/transfers ownership to a different Florida owner.
Download a package of instructions, all necessary forms and a checklist of documentation needed.
Florida Title Transfer Information Packet for Vehicles
Fast Title Information Packet for Vehicles
The following documentation must be provided:
- The Florida Certificate of Title with the "transfer of title by seller" section completed.
- A completed HSMV 82040 Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration. Please note that often the following sections of this form are left blank, resulting in an application that can not be processed.
Please make sure the following items are complete:
- Section 1: Owner/Applicant Information. The vehicle owner’s Florida driver license number is required. If the vehicle is to be titled in a business name, please include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEID) and the 9-digit zip code of the business address.
- Section 2: Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Description section.
- Section 6: Odometer Declaration
- Section 12: Application Attestment and Signatures
- A copy of one of the following proof of identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card with photo.
- An out-of-state driver license or identification card with photo.
- A US passport.
- A Canadian driver license, identification card or passport.
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. territory.
- A out-of-country passport.
- Proof of Florida insurance (a Florida insurance card, policy, or binder), or completed HSMV 83330 Florida Insurance Affidavit.
- Bill of Sale. Evidence that the sales tax on the vehicle has been paid is necessary. Click here for a Bill of Sale Form.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Seminole County is 7% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, order of court in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- The registrant's County of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
Fast Title Service
For an extra cost, Fast Title service is available at all of our offices. If all documentation is correct (see the complete list of necessary documentation above), a Certificate of Title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.