Business Tax Receipt Forms Driver License Forms Property Tax Forms Motor Vehicle Forms Tourist Development Tax Forms Vessel Forms
Business Tax Receipts Disabled Parking Permit Renewal Driver License Renewal Hunting and Fishing Licenses Mobile Home Registration Renewal Motor Vehicle Registration Renewal Pay in Person or by Mail Payment Options Real Estate Property Taxes Tangible Personal Property Taxes Vehicle/Vessel Registration Renewal
Document Requirements Limited Services Offered Services Not Offered
Cut Off Times Holidays Hours and Locations


General Disclosure: Accuracy of the information provided on this web site is not guaranteed for legal purposes.


Renewal Services Auto Registration (Tag) Renewal Business Tax Receipt Renewal Concealed Weapon Permit Apps Disabled Parking Permit Driver License Renewal Hunting and Fishing Licenses Mobile Home Renewal Vessel Registration Renewal
Business Tax Receipts Applying for a New Receipt Data Download Fictitious Names Forms Frequently Asked Questions Going out of Business Information Guide for New Businesses Payment Options Renew Receipt Online Search Existing Tax Receipts Useful Business Links
Concealed Weapon Permit Apps Concealed Weapon Permit Applications Concealed Weapon Permit Fees Consumer Information from the Florida Department of Agriculture Eligibility Requirements Form and Publication Request Florida Department of Agriculture Partnership
Dealers Ask a Dealer Clerk Auto Data Direct Dealer Training and Information DHSMV Print E-Title Discretionary Sales Surtax DMV Forms DMV Procedure Manuals Driver License Check ELT List ELT Modifications Frequently Asked Questions Concerning E-Titles Insurance Company Search Motor Vehicle Check New Fee Schedule Documents Pay Your Dealer Work Online Personalized Plate Availability Renew Business Tax
Driver License Services Change of Address Class E Driver License - Road Testing Commercial Driver License (CDL) Driver License Check Fees Forms First Time Driver Road Testing Frequently Asked Questions Handbooks Learner's License Locations Make/Cancel Online Driver License Appointment New Document Requirements Organ Donor Registation Renewals Revocations That We Process Sanctions That We Process Services Offered/General Information Services Not Offered Social Security (Local) Offices
Employment Application for Employment Employment Opportunities Salary and Benefit Information
Forms Business Tax Receipt Forms Driver License Forms Motor Vehicle Forms Property Tax Forms Tourist Development Forms Vessel Forms
Helpful Links Clerk of the Court Driver License Bureau Florida Department of Health National Links Other Tax Collectors Property Appraiser Seminole County Government Seminole County Health Department Seminole County Taxing Authorities Sheriff Social Security Administration State of Florida Links State Legislative Elected Officials Supervisor of Elections
Hours & Holiday Schedule Contact & Mailing Info Hours & Holiday Schedule
How are we doing? Complete a Survey Contact Us
Hunting & Fishing General Information Disabled Persons License Fishing Hunting Purchase License Online Recent News Residency Requirements
Instant Verification of Taxes Real Estate Tax Verification Tangible Property Tax Verification
Locations & Contact Info Contact & Mailing Info Locations
Military Information Concealed Weapon Permit Applications Fast Title Packet Military Assignment Outside of Florida Military Gold Sportsman's License Military Insurance Exemption Information Military Title Transfer Packet Specialty Plates-Military Service
News & Information Calendar of Events Payment Options Summary of Current Budget by Appropriation Category Terms of Use
Property Taxes Ad Valorem Taxes/Non-Ad Valorem Assessments Change of Address Delinquent Taxes eCheck F.A.Q. Exemptions Forms Frequently Asked Questions Installment Payment Plan Millage Rates Payment Options Pay Taxes Online Tangible Personal Property Tax Certificate Sale Tax Certificate Sale FAQ's Tax Estimator Taxing Authorities Understanding Your Tax Bill
Records Search Business Tax Receipt by Account Business Tax Receipt by Address Business Tax Receipt by Name Business Tax Receipt by Owner Real Estate Tax Search Tangible Property Tax Search
Tax SearchReal Estate Tax SearchTangible Property Tax Search
Tourist Development Tax Discretionary Sales Surtax Forms Frequently Asked Questions General Information Overview of Sales and Use Tax on Rental of Living or Sleeping Accommodations Tourist Impact Tax
Translation/TTY Information Free Translation Aids
Vehicles Title & Registration Buyer Alert Change of Address Disabled Parking Permits Driver License Driver License Check Electronic Lien & Title System Fast Title Service - Vehicles Fees Florida Title Transfer-Vehicles Forms Frequently Asked Questions Helpful Links Leased Vehicles Manufacturer's Statement of Origin Military InformationMobile Home Information New Residents/Moving into Florida New Vehicles Payment Options Personalized & Specialty Plates Previously Titled Out of State Proof of Insurance Renew Registration (Tag) Online Sales Tax Surrendering Plate when Moving Title Information - Vehicles
Vessels Title & Registration Change of Address Electronic Lien & Title System Fast Title Service - Vessel Federally Documented Vessels Fees Florida Title Transer-Vessels Frequently Asked Questions FormsGeneral Vessel Title Information Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin Payment Options Previously Titled Out of State Registration Numbers Renew Vessel Registration Online Title Information - Vessels

ScheduleFlorida DMV Booklet


Tourist Development Tax - Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Tourist Development Tax?

The tourist development tax is a charge (5% in Seminole County) on the revenue from rentals of six months or less. This tax is in addition to the state sales tax (7% in Seminole County). The state sales tax is sent to the Florida Department of Revenue. The tourist development tax is sent to the Seminole County Tax Collector.

What is a taxable rental?
What is a transient accommodation?

How is the Tourist Tax Used?

Funds are used to advertise and promote tourism in Seminole County as well as funding grants for cultural and fine arts entertainment, festivals, programs and activities which promote Seminole County tourism. For more information contact the Seminole County Convention and Visitors Bureau at (800) 800-7832.

How do I collect the tax from my tenants?

First, you must register. A registration form can be obtained from this website or by contacting the Seminole County Tax Collector. An application must also be obtained from the Florida Department of Revenue for the collection of state sales tax. The Department of Revenue can be contacted at 1-800-FLA-DOR1 (1-800-352-3671) or locally at (407) 475-1200.

Registration Information

When is the Tax due?

The tourist development tax is due to the Tax Collector’s office by the 20th day of the month following the collection. If the postmark is the 21st day of the month or after, delinquent interest and penalties must be added. The reporting month is the month in which the rent is collected.

Who Must Pay?

Any person or entity who rents or leases any accommodation for six months or less. This tax applies to hotels, motels, apartment buildings, single or multi-family dwellings, condominiums, mobile home parks, and some vessels.

What Happens if the Renter Doesn't Pay the Tax?

Who is Exempt?

Anyone who has entered into a bona fide written lease in excess of six months is exempt from sales tax and tourist development tax on the lease payments. If there is no written agreement, the owner is required to collect and remit the state sales tax and tourist development tax for the first six months. The seventh month and every month thereafter will be exempt, provided the renter continues to reside at the same location. Anyone who is exempt from paying state sales tax is also exempt from the tourist development tax. These exemptions include full-time students, active duty military personnel, churches and non-profit organizations that have a sales tax exemption number from the Florida Department of Revenue. Contact the Tax Collector’s Office for further information.

What is a bona fide written lease?

What do owners and operators receive for collecting the tax?

Owners and operators are entitled to keep 2.5% of the first $1,200 of the tourist tax collected (maximum of $30.00) as compensation for this service. This collection allowance is subtracted from the tax on the return form - only the difference is paid to the tax collector’s office.

What happens if the tax becomes delinquent?

If the return and payment are not remitted by the 20th of the month following the reporting period, the collection allowance is forfeited. In addition, penalty and interest are assessed. The penalty is 10% of the tax due for each delinquent month or fraction of a month, not to exceed 50% of the aggregate. The minimum penalty is $50.00. Interest is also accrued for each month of delinquency. You will need to contact our office at (407) 665-7637 for instructions.

What records must be kept?

Any business dealing in guest/tenant/transient accommodations is responsible for collecting and remitting this tax and for maintaining records such as guest checks, general ledgers, tax payments and federal income tax returns. All tourist development tax records must be kept for five years and made available for audit at the place of business. Any records located outside the county must be returned to the audit site prior to an audit.

What about records maintained outside Seminole County?
How long do I have to keep the records?
Are my tax records confidential?

If I rent my property, what else must I do?

In addition to collecting the tourist tax and the state sales tax, an owner is required to pay tangible personal property taxes annually on the value of the rental furnishings. A return must be filed each year with the Property Appraiser’s Office declaring the value of the furnishings and appliances.

Any questions about filing a tangible tax return can be directed to the Property Appraiser’s Office at (407) 665-7506. The tangible tax bills are mailed each year in November at the same time as the real estate tax bills.

If a unit is available for short-term rental, this is considered to be an established business and the owner is required to pay a Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as an Occupational License) at the Tax Collector’s Office.

Information and registration for the Local Business Tax is available from the Tax Collector’s office. If your property is located in the city limits, you may also need a city Business Tax Receipt. Contact the appropriate city office for more information.

What if I sell or no longer rent the property?

If you sell or no longer rent the property, please notify the Tax Collector and the Property Appraiser immediately.

Link to Florida Statute (See Chapter 212.03)
Link to Florida Administrative Code (See 12A-1.061)